Friday, January 25, 2013

Quick Media Stand Update

We bought our media stand when my husband and I first moved in together in 2009. It was cheap and simple and, at the time, I loved the dark, rich color.  That was nearly five years ago and now I don't like it. What I do like is that it has shaker style doors (classic) and that I didn't spend a lot of money on it (don't feel guilty that I am about to paint it).

Here is a look at what it looked like before.


And here is a look at what it looks like now.



So here is what we did. First, we removed the doors, hardware and shelves. I filled the hardware holes in with wood filler and let dry for about an hour. Then I did a quick sand over every surface, including the insides of the cabinet.


Then, I put on two coats of sander deglosser. I Bought this at home depot and applied it with an old towel.


Once the deglosser dried, I painted the first coat. The paint we used was Behr and the color is called Pewter Ring. We used a semi-gloss paint with a primer built in. 


After that dried, I painted one more coat and let dry for 24 hours before we re-assembled.

While I painted and took care of the media cabinet, the hubs worked on mounting the TV to the wall. This involved installing an electrical outlet behind the TV and installing the mounting system. I can't go into details about that other than I'm glad that he can do it and we didn't have to pay someone. Thanks honey!

Here is another look at the finished product.




I love the hardware. Found these at Home Depot from the Martha Stewart collection. Less than $10 for the pair.


So there you have it - quick media stand update. 

Happy Friday everyone!

7 comments:

  1. First thing I thought was "I hope she painted it grey"! it looks so good, especially with those pretty drapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a beautiful transformation. I thought it looked good before, but now it looks fabulous. Good vision on your part!! I love the color and the hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great After! I love the color you chose, and the handles are so beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your update to the media stand! The color you picked is perfect! And I have never used the de-glosser before but that is something I will have to keep in mind! Thank you so much for sharing at the Paint it party! I am featuring you later today!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete