Monday, July 30, 2012

Tomato Sauce From Scratch

It's been awhile since I last posted, but I think I have a something worth sharing today. Right now in northern california, tomato's are in just about in season. A few more hot days and there will be more tomato's than we will know what to do with. And since we have tomato's coming at us from neighbors, friends and family, I need ways to use them all without wasting too many.

Over the weekend, I was checking the news on yahoo and came across an easy tomato sauce recipe that I thought was worth trying.

Ingredients: Tomato's, onion, salt, butter.

I started out with all the tomato's that I had in the house. Approximately ten medium size tomato's. We even had different varieties.


Next, I placed the tomato's in boiling water for approximately one minute. Then threw them in a strainer and let the water drain. While the tomato's were cooling, I got my sautee pan ready. I took a whole onion (also from the garden), cut it in half and placed it my pan with some olive oil. Now I used olive oil because I didn't have any butter and wasn't running to the store for that. If using butter, about 5 tablespoons will do.


 Once the tomato's were cool enough to touch, I peeled the skin off them, chopped them up in large pieces and threw them into my pan with the onion and olive oil. Cook uncovered at a temperature so that sauce is lightly simmering. About 45 minutes. Add salt to your preference. Use a wooden spatula to break up the tomato's into smaller pieces into your desired texture. 


After 45 minutes, take out the onion and serve sauce over a bed of pasta. Garnish with parmesan cheese. 


This was really good and flavorful. Husband and 2 year-old approved! 

Original recipe can be found here.


3 comments:

  1. I love it. I can't wait to try it. You should post the cheap pinenut-less pesto too since basil is exploding right now in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do that too! Let's talk about that when I see you later this week.

      Delete
  2. You started without me! Glad to hear it turned out good because we will be making lots of it!

    ReplyDelete