Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Reclaimed Wood Coat Rack

I have always admired how some people can decorate by mixing the old with the new.  A perfect example of this is using reclaimed wood. It's a hot trend right now and it seems all the department stores sell something made of it, usually charging extra. What I like about reclaimed wood is the texture and the story it tells, but I have never seen something I felt inclined to buy. I think the best part of this project is the story of where the wood came from, which is something you can't buy at a department store.

This piece of "reclaimed wood" comes from a place that is very special to me.  It was taken from an old lodge that was built in the early 1900's and had fallen to the ground near my family's cabin. The cabin has been in the family long before I was born and is a place I have been going to since I was just a couple months old. Growing up, my sister and I would crawl around this old lodge looking for lost treasures and finding things like old spice cans and beer bottles. Eventually, the old lodge became dangerous and a couple years ago we excavated the remains and burned it down.


That is the hubbs and my Dad doing what they love the most.


Luckily, my Dad saved some of the old lumber that was still intact. With some of that lumber we decided that we would make a coat rack. I already had a coat rack, but it wasn't anything expensive, so I didn't mind finding another use for it.


Once my Dad cut the wood down to size, we marked out where the hooks would go.


Then mounted it on the wall. We did this first because we wanted to hide the drill holes behind the hooks.


Next we installed the hooks, which I bought from Home Depot for $6.97 each.


And just like that, we have a coat rack.





I am loving our new coat rack and I love it even more because it has meaning to me. Every time I glance at it, it reminds me of our cabin which is one of my favorite places in the world to spend time at.

5 comments:

  1. Oooo, I want one! Can that handy hubby of yours make me one too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Jessie! ... and the good thing is you can pass that down to Maddie when she has a home of her own. It will always have a special place and a special meaning to your family! Good idea :)

    ReplyDelete