Friday, April 27, 2012

Pia Side Table Look-A-Like: Part 2

I saved the best for last this week. I finally finished the Crate & Barrel look-a-like side table that I have been modifying. Considering the price, I am pretty happy with results. To read my earlier post, you can click here.

When the FedEx box arrived at the front door, I was eager to get to work.  I put it together first to make sure that I had all the pieces and everything fit together. You never know when your furniture arrives in a box. Once assembled and satisfied, I was ready to start.

All I needed for this project was a good ole can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint......


....and a bottle of vinegar. I read somewhere that you can use vinegar to remove finger prints and other residues left on the surface. Some websites say to use spirits and some use a liquid deglosser, but I use vinegar. I think they all accomplish the same goal, which is to clean the surface so that spray paint bonds properly.

I set up in the garage using the cardboard that it came with.


Here is a close up of the color (antiqued black) before I started spray painting. 


Once ready, I started the process of spray painting. I am not going to go into too much detail other than I spray painted 3 coats on each side. There are lots of nooks and crevices in a project like this. So the trick here is to be patient.


Once you have done 3 coats of spray paint, you got stop for at least 24 hours, let it cure, and then you can start again. It helps to rotate each individual piece on its side so you don't miss any spots. 

After six days of spray painting I am excited to show you my new side table.








10 comments:

  1. Jess, so impressed, your style comes out more and more every day I check your blog. Y0ur living room is beautiful as is the rest of your house. Love reading about all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber! You are so sweet. Thanks so much for checking my blog. I really appreciate it!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOOOOOVE IT. AMAZEBALLS. YOU WILL BE SO SORRY YOU TAUGHT ME THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the great idea! You table looks like a million bucks. I found you through Knock Off Decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your kind comments!

      Delete
  5. Where did you get the table from? I've been looking for almost the exact table...I like the one you bought much better than the C&B one...
    -CK

    ReplyDelete
  6. what color did you spray paint it? love it! i was looking at the mia table too but it's a lot for a small piece... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spray painted it oil rubbed bronze. I am still really happy with the table. I'm most happy I didn't have to spend a fortune on it!

      Delete