Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fabric Search Is a Success

Remember my post about Finding the Perfect Curtains? I got tired of looking for the right curtains at department stores and thought I would get sophisticated and have them made. My search for fabric was also challenging, but in a much different way then before. If you haven't searched for fabric before, then you may have reacted a lot like me. Shocked! Fabric is way expensive (and yes, I like to use overly descriptive words like "way"). What happened to the days when people made their own clothes, pillows and curtains to save money?

If you know me, then you know I like to find a good deal. I searched local fabric stores like Calico Corners and JoAnn Fabrics and came up empty. I even almost drove to San Francisco, but luckily I came across this website that was having a sale on fabric from a company that I adore called Windsor Smith. Not sure why this specific fabric was on sale, but I am guess because they only had a few yards left and needed to get rid of it.

I first discovered Windsor Smith on Pinterest and then I saw it on one of my favorite blogs, Honey We're Home. From then on I couldn't get my mind off it.  The fabric from the collection is called Pelagos. The color is Mist. I went with the color mist because it was the one on sale and I think it will look nice with the look I am trying to create.

Isn't it gorgeous?


My excitement from my purchase was short-lived when my brain started working on overdrive creating this mental list.


Item 1 is really what complicates this whole situation. I need to lower my curtain rod because I don't like the rod hovering near the ceiling. It's an interior design trick to install the rod above the top of the door casing. There are different reasons to hang it at different heights. Some say to hang it all the way up to the top of the ceiling, some hang it half the distance and some 4-6 inches above. Each opinion creates a different effect but all accomplish the same goal. The goal, of which, is to make the room feel bigger than it is.

Our current situation looks like this.

I need to lower the rod for a couple reasons. One being that we will eventually be putting crown molding in the room and I need to accommodate for that. The second being, I don't like having all that open space above the door. I think it bothers me because this is such a wide door. It probably wouldn't bother me so much if the door was smaller or if I were using two small rods on either side (like Megan did at Honey We're Home). But, I want these drapes to be functional so that we can close them at night.

The reason I think most people don't go through all this hassle is because drapes come in standard heights (84", 96", 108") to fit standard doors. This means you would then have pay to alter what you just bought and that can cost extra. This leads me to Item 4 on this list which is to alter the existing linen sheers that I already bought. More work and I can't sew.

So lots of work to do at the McKeown residence.

2 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower! I, too, have lots I want to do around my self, but don't fancy myself an expert at anything...except procrastination maybe...come visit me! maybe we can give each other some good ideas!
    cannaryfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! My first follower that I don't know! I will definately stop by and see what I can learn from you. Thanks!

      Delete