Monday, April 30, 2012

Demolition of the Granite Breakfast Bar

We had yet another productive weekend at the McKeown Residence. We demo'd what was called a breakfast bar by the listing agent. I don't know in what capacity this ever served as one, but it didn't function as that for us. 


I do like the idea of the breakfast bar because I stand there with my cup of coffee and watch Maddie play in the mornings. When we have parties, people stand up there with their drinks and mingle. However, I just don't like the look the of the granite tiles. The hole that you see in the wall was not original to the house and added by a previous owner. So, in order for this to flow more seamlessly with the house and not look like a home DIY project, we had to say good bye to the granite tiles.

Demolition begins.


Then we removed the three layers of plywood that supported the granite tiles to reveal the studs.


Next we placed a single piece of synthetic wood and attached with finish nails. Sorry for the awkward picture.


Then we added some crown molding underneath. 


Then finished the ends by cutting returns from scrap crown molding.


Next, we filled the nail holes with wood filler, sanded and painted. We hand brushed the paint to give the surface more texture, since we didn't use a real wood. 

We also put three coats of a polycrylic protective finish on the top. 


Here is what we have so far.






I think it looks A LOT better. It flows with the rest of the house and transitions better from the dining room to the living room. It still has the same functionality as before. I can set a cup of coffee on there or lean on it while I watch Maddie or catch the news in the morning. 

I still need to do some touch up paint on the walls before I can move the furniture back into the room. I will be working on that today.

Here is one more before and after shot.

Before


After

4 comments:

  1. So much better! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Great! Looking forward to standing there with my cup of coffee and talking to Maddie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you gotta come visit then and see it in person!

      Delete